Lloyds Banking Group
Engaged as the PMO Lead for Group IT Central Functions and its 2011 portfolio of projects with a value of circa £140M.
Within six weeks we had:
- Increased rigour around the governance of the portfolio, with a move to ‘by Exception’ reporting and a formal, weekly management forum
- Conducted an overhaul of the Change Management process and supporting tools
- Produced the first process and procedural documentation to improve the ‘command and control’ aspect of the PMO service and reduce single points of failure
Building on the momentum gained in the first two months the scope and duration of the engagement were extended to a PMO Services Delivery and Account Management position, for a further three months, in which we:
- Acted as the single point of escalation for PMO Services within Group IT Central Functions
- Provided management and leadership of PMO services to six business units, through a team of approximately thirty staff
- Supported the design and initial delivery of a Portfolio Delivery Office service
- Consulted on a number of projects to drive project management and PMO process and toolset improvements
Engaged on assignment with Willis on a global programme with the objective of creating a 3% margin uplift within two years. This equated to a net benefit of $100m US dollars.
We achieved the following:
- Within the first 6 weeks, designed and implemented the program governance framework and completed the first program wide reporting cycle and Executive dashboard
- Developed a Mid Level Plan
- Rationalised the initial portfolio of projects (c. 300) down to 49 key projects
- Mapped resources to highlight gaps and suggested solutions to cover weaknesses
- Produced detailed project plans and roadmaps in conjunction with project managers
- Improved communications and engagement with program stakeholders to ensure a clear programme overview and identify interdependencies
- Designed standard templates for all programme documentation, adopted throughout the organisation
Engaged at the Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) on a two-year, £2bn programme to restructure and implement their major outsourced service contracts.
Our role saw us:
- Manage the Service Integration and Management (SIAM) Tower through the governance and gating process, providing assurance of their stakeholder management process and the quality of their deliverables
- Drive the weekly Stakeholder Management forum, which managed the interface between the programme suppliers and the Department
- Align key Technical Assurance and Security Accreditation milestones with the governance process in support of the Virtual Critical Design Review (vCDR)
- Drive Departmental approval to pre-defined product sets in support of the governance process
- Our engagement concluded with the transfer of work to in-house staff
Provision of PMO Consultancy to the Merger between Alliance Unichem and Boots in a programme to establish the future shape of their Community Pharmacy division, comprising circa 1500 pharmacy outlets.
Engaged for a period of 12 months we:
- Developed and implemented the governance framework
- Drove the early stages of programme delivery
- Supported the process of alignment across brand, retail offer, supply chain and operating processes
An early success in the programme was the addition of selected Boots branded products to the legacy Alliance pharmacy branch network on the day of the formal merger.
Thames Water are the UK’s largest water and wastewater services provider, serving some 22 million customers clean or waste water services.
Thames Water embarked upon a ‘Transforming Thames’ change programme with two key components; a £40million SAP implementation and a change in operating model. Our role was to drive an accelerated mobilisation of the Programme Support Office (PSO), working with Thames and their preferred supplier to align both processes and standards.
Within five weeks we had:
- Assumed ownership and successful operation of the weekly reporting process, up to CEO level
- Defined internal PSO-facing process documentation outlining the processes to be operated (e.g. Reporting, Planning standards, Risk, Issue and Dependency Management)
- Conducted a successful ‘Pilot’ of a more detailed reporting cycle with Axon
- Driven improvements in the programme reporting process, the content and quality of the Work-Package plans and in the approach to Risk Management.
The PSO conducted a number of technical assessments of the preferred supplier’s delivery plans, the outcome of which was a fundamental review of the overall implementation approach and the plans to support it.